by guest blogger Shannon Vaughn, founder of Pursoma Detox Beauty
As the founder of the ecofriendly beauty wellness brand Pursoma, I like to think that using our detox routine is like making a great meal. The key is having things mise en place, or “set in place.” Everything is much smoother and more enjoyable when you cook if you have all your tools ready and ingredients prepared. The same goes for your experience in the inner sanctum of your bathroom-turned-spa. Your own tub can be just as wonderful and luxurious as the spa’s, but without all the expense, travel, and scheduling. It’s important to carve out a special time for you to make the most of this routine. You can start the process as early as the minute you wake up for a healthful day of self-care and detoxing…
Start your day by incorporating a great detox diet throughout the day and ending it with a Pursoma bath. You’ll have the most restful sleep you’ve had in ages.
Mise en place for the inner sanctum… aka your bathroom:
- A dry brush, loofah, or rough washcloth
- Hydrosol [floral water] or nonalcoholic facial toner
- Filtered or spring water
- A large, cozy towel and/or bathrobe
These are my 14 steps to an amazing detox:
1. Pick a quiet day for your detox.
2. Upon rising in morning, start by drinking lemon squeezed into warm water.
3. Follow with 10 minutes of meditation, just sitting still and thinking about what you would like to accomplish during the day and practicing gratitude for what you are most thankful for.
4. Eat healthfully throughout the day—a light breakfast, salad for lunch, and a very light dinner (avoid sugar dairy, soy, legumes, starchy grains, processed foods, red meat, caffeine, and alcohol).
5. Drink 2 to 3 liters of water throughout the day.
6. Exercise—detox yoga or cardio—for at least 45 minutes.
7. Just before your bath, dry-brush the body or use a salt scrub to stimulate your circulation and rid the body of dry skin.
8. Select a Pursoma bath and be sure to follow the instructions on the label, making sure to note whether to rinse off the product or leave it on the body.
9. Drink 16 ounces of filtered or spring water BEFORE the Pursoma detox treatment.
10. Spray hydrosol toner on face intermittently during the bath, or place a cool washcloth on your face as you soak.
11. Drink 16 ounces of water AFTER the Pursoma detox treatment, and then it’s important to SWEAT AND REST.
12. Rest in bed and sweat for 20 minutes—we like to wear extra layers or use a heavy blanket to encourage sweating.
14. Head straight to sleep.
Shannon Vaughn, a former model who has a lifelong passion for health and wellness, founded Pursoma in 2014. Her world travels and education inspired her natural remedies, and she created the line based on the principles of detoxification and rejuvenation. The catalyst for creating Pursoma was Shannon’s personal success in using a holistic approach to treat an illness: Alternative therapies focused on detox succeeded where prescription drugs and surgery had failed. Following her recovery, Shannon worked closely with a nutritionist and biochemist to formulate potent, effective detox treatments that left her feeling vibrant and alive. It was this process of “soma,” or transition, to wellness, along with the understanding she gained about what it means to be truly healthy, that inspired her.