While traditional homesteading meant to live like, well, a homesteader—one whose life was built off the land, thriving on self-sufficiency—today’s modern homesteaders don’t all fit into the Little House on the Prairie image you may have in your mind.
In fact, modern homesteaders don’t all live on prairies or even farms, nor are they all woodsmen who live off the grid. Many live in cities or in suburbs and are simply trying to bring a little bit of that homegrown self-sufficiency back into their lives. Modern homesteaders care about homemade food and goods, where their foods come from, and how they’re made and stored. They care about learning the skills to create, preserve, and share some homegrown goodness…
They also love a useful tool! That’s why this week I’ve chosen some of my favorite tools that are just right for anyone interested in bringing a little homemade happiness to his or her life—be it from cooking or canning or gardening!
1. Jadeite Glass Mixing Bowls. Whether you are a serious homesteader, a home cook, or someone who simply loves beautiful handcrafted things, these bowls are for you. As reproductions of vintage Fire King Glass Jadeite—an opaque jade-green milk glass popular in the 1930s, ’40s, and ’50s—these bowls are not only perfect for mixing and preparing homemade dishes, but they make excellent serving dishes, too.
2. Stainless Steel Ice-Pop Mold. This useful yet sophisticated ice-pop mold brings together the worlds of the traditional and the modern homesteader. With it, you can create and enjoy a cool treat without worrying about unnatural dyes, preservatives, additives, GMOs, or pesticides. Our fast-freeze mold is easy to use, easy to clean, and will last a lifetime. Simply add organic juice or whip up any organic ice-pop recipe; pour it into the shaped molds, freeze, and voilà, you have six paddle-style treats.
3. Stainless Steel Ice Cube Tray. This reinvention of the traditional metal ice cube tray is classic, functional, and safe! Make ice cubes, or freeze pesto, baby food, or other herbs in ready-to-use bites with no risk of toxic leakage from plastic.
4. Organic Bee Kind Seed Packets. Do your part to support and nourish honeybees and other beneficial pollinators with this collection of organic seeds. It includes six different types of herbs and flowers specifically designed to attract pollinating species to your garden, with an emphasis on a long blooming season (for maximum benefits).
5. 3-Piece Canning Tool Set. Canning is the hallmark of the modern homesteader. Use this set to complete your canning the easy way. This three-piece canning tool set includes a spoon for scooping up jam, heat-resistant tongs for lifting jars, and a mirror-finish funnel for easy filling without spilling. The durable stainless steel construction means these will last through season after season of canning. (Don’t forget the canning jars!)
No comments yet.