By guest blogger Dr. Mao Shing Ni, DOM, PhD, ABAAHP, LAc; author of the best-selling book Secrets of Longevity
The Chinese healing tradition has specialized in age-defying skin solutions for thousands of years. It began 2,000 years ago with an Empress who knew that the key to her power was in a youthful appearance. These natural skin-beautifying secrets are revealed below: freedom from wrinkles, age spots, and uneven skin tone.
The origin of Chinese skincare secrets
It all began in the Imperial Court in China. The Empress, in order to retain her power, was compelled to do everything possible to maintain her youthful appearance. She summoned the best physician of her time to design an anti-aging program to rejuvenate her and preserve her beauty. Her rejuvenating program was handed down through the ages, following the Chinese custom of the empress passing down to the princesses her skin-beautifying recipes and preparations. Here are but a few of the many beautifying secrets that still exist.
1. Keep your face toned with facial exercises
To tone up your facial muscles, try these facial exercises, twice a day, five repetitions apiece:
1. Raise your eyebrows as high as you can and then relax them.
2. Try to move your nose from side to side.
3. Inflate your cheeks as if you were blowing up a balloon, and then relax.
4. Open your mouth as wide as it can go, and stick out your tongue as far as you can. Hold for five seconds.
Finish up with a renewing facial massage. Using a circular motion, gently stroke your whole face to warm it up. Then with the thumb and first finger of both of your hands pinch five times along your eyebrow line, from inside to outside. Press along both sides of the nose, where it meets the cheeks, from top to bottom, five times. Press the area around the outside of the mouth five times. Lightly pat your cheeks with your fingers to stimulate the sides of your face. Press the lines on your forehead between your eyebrows five times. Now press the edges around your eye, being gentle above the eye and under its lower rim. Finish the massage with another round of circular strokes all around.
2. Diminish age spots
Age spots, sun spots, liver spots, freckles, and skin blotches exist on the topmost layer of your skin, called the basal cell layer. The hormone melanin, which is responsible for your natural skin tone, increases production to protect you from sun exposure; however, when too much pigment is produced, unwanted discolorations can result.
Unlike Western medicine, which might use lasers and dermabrasion to remove these discolorations, traditional Chinese practice has always observed that one must treat the underlying cause of excess pigment deposit. Melanin is produced by special skin cells called melanocytes that are triggered by hormonal signals; because Chinese medicine regards the hormonal system as part of the kidney’s organ network, these skin spots reflect a kidney imbalance. You can rely on foods, herbs and supplements to effectively restore the healthy function of your kidneys:
• Eat more black beans, sesame seeds, and mulberries. Our Regenerating Cream contains a sesame oil base to nurture the skin cells and minimize the appearance of aging, scarring, and help improve overall skin health. Go to www.Wellnesslivingstore.com for more information.
• Helpful Chinese herbal combinations include Chinese yam, Asian cornelian fruit, and goji or lycium berry.
• Alpha-lipoic acid, acetyl-L-carnitine, and quercetin are healthy supplements that help the skin regenerate and remove pigment deposits.
• DMAE (dimethyl-amino-ethanol), a nutrient found in anchovies and sardines, is a powerful membrane stabilizer that reverses age spots on the skin.
I hope this advice gives you the secrets you need to rejuvenate your skin!
May you Live Long, Live Strong, and Live Happy!
Can you purchase DMAE – or do you have to rely on eating anchovies and sardines?
True age spots are harmless and don’t need treatment, but they can look like cancerous growths. For cosmetic reasons, age spots can be lightened with skin-bleaching products or removed. However, preventing age spots — by avoiding the sun and using sunscreen — may be the easiest way to maintain your skin’s youthful appearance and to avoid these dark skin spots.