In September 2010, I wrote a blog about back-to-school shopping in which I lamented the onrush of fall and the fact that I couldn’t go to work in pajamas and yoga gear. Then I shared some of my favorite places to buy organic clothing.
Now, four years later, September is coming once again. But this time it’ll be different. This time I don’t have to go out searching through dozens of stores to find back-to-school products that are beautiful and organic…because now there’s Rodale’s! Which means fun, happy, beautiful, sustainable, and organic shopping made easy.
I’ve already gotten the shopping party started, so I decided to share my five favorite back-to-school picks to inspire you to shop sustainably this August, September, and beyond:
1. United by Blue Bags. OK, so this is more than one item, but United By Blue makes it so hard to choose! I have the blue Braddock Backpack, and highly recommend it. Apparently, a lot of other people love it too because it’s out of stock at the moment. But keep checking back because it should be back again soon. Then there’s the Sutter Toolbag, the McKenzie Organic Cotton Tote, and the Jasper Folder—all great choices, the latter of which is a favorite of my blog manager, Maria L.! What makes UBB bags so great? They’re beautiful, sturdy, and made from organic cotton. And for every bag sold, United By Blue removes one pound of trash from our oceans and waterways around the world.
2. Decomposition Notebooks. These are some of my favorite notebooks. They come from a family-owned and -operated business in Brooklyn, and are made of 100 percent recycled paper printed with soy ink.
3. Classic No. 2 Pencils. No back-to-school shopping is complete without a stack of No. 2 pencils. These earth-friendly classic pencils have lacquer-free, renewable CalCedar wood casings with recyclable-aluminum ferrules, biodegradable green erasers, and certified-nontoxic inks.
4. Flip-Cap Water Bottle. Stay hydrated at school or work with this recyclable-glass water bottle that’s made in the USA.
5. Teton Tunic. Let this lovely and versatile tunic be the starting piece for your effortless autumn wardrobe. Cut from crisp, sustainable chambray linen, this dress is crafted with pride in Sausalito, California.
Happy back-to-school shopping!
See all of Maria’s favorites on Rodale’s Pinterest:
Follow Rodale’s’s board Maria Rodale’s Favorites! on Pinterest.
No comments yet.