Here’s the sad truth: By the time you read this, I’m only just starting my holiday shopping. Most of it will be done online, with a few visits to my favorite local downtowns for some in-person holiday spirit. If you’re in a similar boat, here is my top-10 list of online stores for great gifts:
1. 2noteperfumery.com—I found this little store in Portland, Maine, this summer, and now I buy from them online all the time. It’s a shame you can’t smell things over the computer, but their products are all-natural and all-good and all-handmade.
2. Womanswork.com—For the best gardening gloves in the universe! Sorry, they’re for women only! They are comfortable, hardworking, and last for a good, long time. Unless you loose them in the garden.
3. Sorrelli.com—Affordable and gorgeous jewelry made by a small, family-owned business in Kutztown, Pennsylvania. It’s the kind of stuff that makes you feel like a princess.
4. Seedsavers.org—Mail-order garden catalogs are already starting to pile up in my house, and if you are a gardener, you know the next holiday on the calendar is the seed-and plant-ordering holiday. Seedsavers has great stuff and supports a great cause!
5. Groworganic.com—Is the Web name for Peaceful Valley Organic Supplies. You can get everything from a fruit tree to tools to large bags of meadow seed mixes. It’s a treasure trove of organic-gardening supplies.
6. Theultimategreenstore.com—Is a great source for stocking stuffers or midyear school supplies for kids or adults. It’s also an amazing source for toys, and anything else you can think of for kids.
7. Organicstyle.com—My former magazine (alas) is now an ecofriendly organic website with really good stuff—especially flowers. And the best gift boxes.
8. Vivaterra.com—For really beautiful home décor and accessories.
9. Diamondorganics.com—The best source for food gifts, including fresh organic fruit, vegetables, and cheeses.
10. Patagonia.com—By far the most ecofriendly, durable, comfortable, and practical clothing source for gifts.
11. Hannaanderson.com—And one for good luck! The best, by far, source of organic cotton pajamas, underwear, and matching outfits for kids and grown-ups!
Happy shopping! And remember, there is no rule that says you can’t shop at all these places for yourself all year round. Not only does it stimulate the economy, but it also supports privately owned and independent companies that are doing the right thing for people and the planet. That makes me happy!