Tomorrow is the official start of summer—my all-time favorite season! I love it all: the BBQs, the long days, the warm nights, the fireflies, the ocean breeze, and the SUNSHINE, birds, and bees! But like most good things, too much can be harmful for you. So how do you protect yourself safely and naturally from the sun and bugs?
To get my vitamin D, I try to get light and regular sun exposure during the early morning and late afternoon. If I do have to go out during peak sun hours, I use a number of techniques for covering up: shirts, hats, and umbrellas. If I’m going to wear sunscreen, it’s going to be organic and nontoxic. And the same goes for my bug sprays, after-sun lotions, and lip treatments….
Want to know my summer protection favorites? Here are 5 of them:
1. COOLA Suncare Classic Face Sunscreen. Specially formulated for your face, this ultra-sheer SPF 30 sunscreen is enriched with soothing, antioxidant-packed organic ingredients to protect skin against damaging free radicals and provide broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection.
2. COOLA Suncare Sport Sunscreen Spray. Offering broad-spectrum, water-resistant SPF 30 UVA/UVB protection, this all-natural, ultra-sheer sunscreen spray nourishes, repairs, and hydrates skin with certified-organic ingredients and is infused with soothing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Easily spritz this sunscreen on the go with a clear, continuous spray in refreshing piña colada (love!) or citrus mimosa scents!
3. Organic Tick & Bug Repellent. Keep the bugs away, especially disease-carrying ticks. This recipe combines known repellents from across the globe, including neem oil, extracted from the neem tree and wormwood, a plant known for naturally repelling insects of all types.
4. Organic Lip Treatment Trio. Protect, heal, and soothe lips any time of the day or night with this raw, organic lip treatment set. It’s my favorite lip balm ever!
5. Radical Recovery After-Sun Lotion. Oops! We’ve all been there… You forgot the hat or the sunscreen and ended up with a burn. You can soothe that painful sunburn with this ultra-moisturizing after-sun lotion. It uses organic agave’s natural moisture-binding mechanisms for environmental defense and calming. This “miracle plant” gives skin superior hydration and promotes collagen synthesis while boosting UV protection and providing clinically proven relief from sunburn.
Have a happy, healthy, healing, and safe summer!