I’m not easily annoyed, but there are things that do aggravate me. In case you ever meet me, here is what you need to know:
- I don’t like when people wear perfume and cologne…and it’s even worse when they hug or kiss me and then I smell it on me. Makes me want to shower. Your own smell is good enough – as long as you’ve showered recently! The only exceptions are truly organic scents. I met Horst Rechelbacher recently (the founder of Aveda and Intelligent Nutrients) and I did tell him he smelled good and he said “Well, it’s my job.” His scents are acceptable. Mostly because they are organic and all natural. Don’t even THINK about asking me to go into an Abercrombie and Fitch store! Never, ever again!
- I get annoyed when people complain about the heat and crank up the air conditioning and then don’t do anything about climate change/aka global warming. First of all, I love the heat. Second of all, I can’t stand air conditioning. Third of all, I don’t like it when people aren’t aware that we are all responsible for the state of the world.
- I really, really hate it when windows don’t open.
- I get peeved by the whole celebrity culture where people devour someone like Paula Deen until she does something stupid and then revel in her downfall. I don’t care about her on the way up or the way down. Although, if she’s got a good recipe I will cook it.
- Speaking of which, I LOATHE when the media gets things wrong about me, which I would say they do 90 percent of the time. And then those untruths get picked up as facts since, after all, they were in the media! If you want to know something about me, ask me and I will tell you the truth—and if I can’t tell you the truth I will let you know that.
- I do get annoyed when things are a mess and people don’t clean up after themselves. Even though, I confess, I am often a mess! It’s my double standard and I’m sticking to it.
- I get annoyed when people are late. I am almost always on time. But it’s okay if someone has a good reason. That doesn’t annoy me at all.
- I annoy myself all the time if I don’t get things done that I know I should have gotten done. Mostly work things. But sometimes I just don’t feel like doing stuff…do you know what I mean? It’s like a bottomless pit sometimes—you dig the pit out and it fills up with stuff to do again. So occasionally, I just have to block it out.
- I really, really get provoked by lying, duplicity and all the related crap that goes with that. That’s all I’m going to say.
- I get very, very annoyed when people drive too close to me, or go really slow in front of me, or block my ability to pass, or listen to talk radio when I am in the car. Unless it’s Dave Marsh on the E Street Radio station talking about Bruce. But even I can only take so much of that talking. Then I want to listen to music, loud, and drive on the open road without being annoyed.
That’s pretty much it. What annoys you?
Windows that don’t open are right up there with removing water fountains and public telephones from frequently used public spaces.
I get annoyed when people don’t spay and neuter their pets, then dump the babies off, secretly at night, in my patio. There is a free sterilization clinic in my city, and I tell all the neighbors about it, yet this spring alone ‘they’ have left 4 kittens (the newest isn’t even weaned yet) and a puppy was tossed into the back yard in a plastic bag. We already have 32 cats, 3 dogs, and a donkey, thank you. All rescues but 1 dog, who was a gift.
Spay and neuter. Spay and neuter! I can’t say it enough.
What a delicious question!
I feel highly annoyed with most packaging.
I feel annoyed with non-stop talkers.
I am annoyed with quickly-spoken so-called jokes, that if I didn’t hear as in decipher, and ask to be repeated, the person won’t say again, laughing about how it was just a joke.
And lastly, I feel annoyed when I bore myself in others’ company. I did it again last night…stopped mid-sentence to say I am boring myself.
Colleges that don’t have programs for recycling all the debris from moving in day. And perhaps worse colleges that don’t take seriously their responsibility to teach mindfulness with regard to consumption and stewardship for our precious environment at the end if the year and allow mountains of perfectly re-sale, up-cycle worthy belongings and consumer goods to be hauled away to a land fill. There are so many Missed opportunities in this all too frequent scenario I wouldn’t know where to begin as to what annoys, I will go so far to say grieves me the most.
As a teacher, I see this: when smart girls play stupid. In the south, it is okay for guys to be smart, but girls still are fighting that battle. Don’t feed it. I LOATHE the smart girl intentionally acting stupid.
Love this venue to vent.
~ I get annoyed when people don’t understand Food is Medicine and everything we put into our mouth matters; to our bodies, our farmers, our environment.
~ I get annoyed when I bring petty problems to sleep and they keep me awake.
~ I get annoyed when I stare fear in the eyes and realize it’s my own creation.
~ And then I get extra annoyed if I choose not to step out of that fear based cycle.
~ Lastly, I get super annoyed at people who don’t want to search for the truth and feel comfortable living in their misguided untruth.
YES, Sharon, Laura Jo and Irma!
I get really annoyed at not being able to open a jar. It’s the worst when you live alone. LOL. I probably would have a long list of annoyances, but if I compile them, I’d say I get annoyed at people who aren’t open to learning. I love learning! It’s like an adventure trotting into the unknown of what I don’t know. Then I get annoyed because people unwilling to learn will speak as if they know everything including having all the unknowns covered. And I’ll think, have you been there and done that? Do you even know what experience and knowledge likes beyond what you are talking about? (No, sadly.) Last heavy duty one is I get annoyed at how children are treated by adults.
Oh…..how did you know I needed to vent today? I and my neighbors have small acreage lots and it grates my last nerve when some neighbors use chemicals in their yards to have a picture perfect suburban lawn. We live in the 1. James River watershed, 2. we all have well water, 3. forces me inside for days with windows closed because it makes me sick, much less all the poor wildlife who can’t do that.
If that wasn’t all bad enough, they look down their noses at us and complain that we have weeds in our lawn, no irrigation system, and do not “properly” care for our lawn. We have a gorgeous yard full of birds, insects, and lots and lots of happy worms!
And THEN they have the nerve to let their dogs run lose in our yard. Guess it’s because their yards are poison.
People. Get a clue.
People who litter!
I love you all! You make me laugh. I’m so glad I complained today so that you could complain too!
It worries and annoys me when we are encouraged to shop and eat organic! Shop your local farmers markets! I don’t know of any organic farmers at our farmers markets, maybe one. They are mostly Amish, and very tight lipped about where their food comes from and what they sprayed it with. I think the farmers markets (unless specifically advertised organic) are the worst of the mosh pits in chemical/GMO treatment of our food. And, I want to know, exactly what IS that poopy smelling stuff in that machine they are using to “fertilize” the crops with?? It doesn’t really smell like cow manure….
i am breathing easier as i read each gripe…ditto to ALL!
Numbers 6,1,4,7,8, and 9! When people I love say stupid things. When I tell them that they should always strive to eat organically, they say that, “We are all going to die from something, nothing has happened to us yet.” When the people I don’t know say and do stupid things. Drama queens(guys and girls). When merchants claims you are getting a great discount on an item and you just saw it the week before for a lot less, they double the price on the day of the sale and say that you are getting two for one! When a song keeps playing over and over in my head for weeks, and I can’t sleep because of it! Hypocrites! Mostly religious hypocrites! Gossipers. Self-righteous people.
Wow, Maria – this is right up my alley! Love it.
I share Jo’s annoyances, and then some.
I get annoyed at myself for not cleaning my house, and cleaning annoys me greatly.
I am annoyed when male contractors don’t return my calls but will respond to my husband.
Sorry, but I don’t like the use of LOL all the time. Are you really laughing out loud? I sometimes I use it on Twitter, to be brief, when I’m actually laughing.
I hate when people do not wash their hands after using the toilet.
I am also annoyed by other drivers following too closely, or getting in my way.
Last, I really dislike when people separate “the environment” from human existence. Meaning, when people don’t care that fish are dying from pollution but then wonder why there’s so much cancer. Hello…where do you think our drinking water and food come from? We’re hurting ourselves.
Annoying; people who have to be right about everything !!
I hate when the toilet paper breaks when you are wiping your backside!
Thanks, Maria, for another great post!
I, too, sometimes have a few of the annoyances already noted (except for icholas’s).
Inconsiderate drivers – those tailgating, distracted, not going the speed limit (either too fast or too slow), blocking the flow of traffic…
Perfume/cologne that clings to me after a hug? Ewwww!
Lying/duplicity (including by omission) – I much prefer total honesty.
Lateness? Please call/text me.
Folks that don’t get why it’s crucial to neuter/spay pets? Neuter/spay Fluffy/Fido, please!
Pesticide/herbicide applications in public places or next door to my home? Please stop it, or at the very least warn me beforehand so I can close my doors/windows.
Mowing of the median/sides of public roads? Why waste the petrol and why contribute to greenhouse gas emissions?
And in the same vein – traffic control lights timed so vehicles get stopped at nearly every light (especially in cities that pride themselves on their green ethics, like Madison, WI.)? Idling cars create more fumes/emissions than moving cars, so keep that traffic flowing, please!
These are what I can think of at this moment… truthfully, tho, while doing my best to take care of me, if I can’t do anything about an annoyance, I let it go. I believe there’s no sense losing my serenity over things I have no control over – I just shake my head, try to smile, and move on. 🙂
Well, today I am totally annoyed that everyone else got to be first to rant about things that I also hate. And I must say to Maria…”You go girl! I admire your bravery and honesty”.
Okay…The very serious and most important thorn in my side is that I am indeed more than annoyed that our government is not taking a stand at labeling GMO sooner. And just for the record I want to say “What the hell are they thinking?”
I’m annoyed by slug slime, when I stick my bare finger on a slug not seeing it. And fire ant bites! I’m also annoyed seeing mowed and weeded commercial drainage ponds and streams – why not let nature take over that little bit of space? And whining, from people of all ages.
Hey icholas did you forget your “N” as in “N”obody cares about your opinion.
My top peeve is stupid, inconsiderate people. Not as in low IQ, but those who know better and do not care about anyone but themselves. The world is going to pot because of them!
Yay Cathy! You typed what we all thought.
I am super annoyed today with doctor offices who mis-bill and just can’t seem to get.it.right.
On that same note, I’m annoyed by any customer service mistakes that cause me to spend hours of my precious time fixing… time of which I am not being paid!