Thank you for all of the support for the first half of my list, 50 Things I Learned in My First 50 years, Part 1. Please check it out if you haven’t already. Here’s the second part of my list…
26. Rain is good.
27. Nature is everything. Everything is nature. We are nature. Technically, therefore, everything is natural.
29. If you pay attention and ask for help, nature will tell you what you need to know, answer your questions, guide you, and heal you.
30. Believe in fairy tales because you are living one.
31. We each create our own reality. You are the author of your story, so choose wisely what you write.
32. Foreign movies are slower, but deeper and more interesting. Sometimes. No, often.
33. Laugh a lot, all the time. But be careful about using laughter to distract you from facing your pain or, worse, hurting others with your laughter. That is not funny.
34. Don’t ever laugh at poets or poetry. I am a poet.
35. The sooner you stop trying to be perfect or find perfection, the sooner you will find it.
36. Actually, the sooner you stop trying to find anything, the quicker you will find it.
37. Every single person has something to teach us and share with us. Look for it.
38. Hard work is sometimes overrated.
39. Home cooking is never overrated.
40. Write it down or you will forget it. You will!
41. You must choose life in order to live fully and long.
42. You must let others make their own choices about choosing life. You can’t choose for them.
43. If you do choose life, then you must find the courage to make the changes that will create happiness. Happiness doesn’t just happen. It’s a choice, too.
44. There are no rules. Not even rule #5.*
45. EVERYTHING is precious. Treat it that way.
46. You’ll never see a shooting star if you don’t go outside at night in the dark and look up!
47. Being in love is the best feeling in the universe. Be in love with everything.
48. Your body is your temple, your radio antenna, your car, your horse, your best friend. Take good care of it.
49. Massages of all types—and often—are not a luxury but a necessity.
*re: Rule # 5 – Harden the F#&k up.