by guest blogger Isaac Eliaz, MD, MS, LAc, integrative medicine pioneer, researcher, clinical practitioner, author, and lecturer
Spring and summer bring us wonderful warm weather, offering an ideal opportunity to engage in a gentle seasonal cleanse. Since many people are unfamiliar with this health-promoting process, I thought that now would be a good time to introduce the practice of gentle detoxification/cleansing and its numerous benefits. Warmer weather usually prompts us to eat lighter, healthier, more hydrating foods, which is perfect since nourishing foods of this nature are at the foundation of a successful cleanse program.
Why should you do a cleanse? The main purpose is to clear the body of toxins, contaminants, and heavy metals that can accumulate in joints, organs, tissues, cells, and in the bloodstream. These health-robbing pollutants can come from a number of sources, including pesticides, environmental contaminants, everyday household products, overprocessed foods and packaging agents, alcohol, OTC and prescription drugs, and more. By giving your body a break from its toxic burden and deeply nourishing yourself with the right foods, supplements, and exercise, you can reach a new level of health and vitality. A gentle cleanse can also help improve mental clarity and emotional stability; balance blood sugar, reducing cravings and crashes; and increase strength, flexibility and stamina, and more.
The Signs of Toxin Overload. Toxin overload in the body can potentially express itself through a dizzying array of symptoms. The most common are chronic digestive complaints, joint problems, skin conditions, persistent allergies, frequent colds or flu, head and body aches, lethargy, weight gain, irritability, and mental fog. (If you experience any of these symptoms on a regular basis, however, it’s important to see your doctor to rule out other possible conditions.)
The Health Benefits of Gentle Detoxification. Normally, our detoxification organs and systems—liver, kidneys, digestive, lymphatic, lungs, and skin—would successfully eliminate most contaminants. In today’s world however, many of us can benefit significantly and noticeably from a gentle cleanse. The health effects are numerous and can often be experienced in just a matter of days, particularly the greater energy and vitality that can result. Other important benefits include improved digestion and immunity, reduced inflammation, stabilized blood sugar, increased circulation, healthier weight, balanced hormones, clearer skin, and improved well-being on all levels. Long-term exposure to toxins has been linked to numerous types of cancer, diabetes, and other chronic, life-threatening conditions.
How to Get Started. How long your cleanse program lasts is up to you: It can be three days, three weeks, or three months, depending on your lifestyle, health goals, and so forth. Any detox program can easily be tailored to suit your individual needs, but regardless of how long or what type of program you do, there are a several key components, listed below, which are essential to a successful cleanse. They serve as the basic foundation for a cleanse program, and they can also be combined with other therapies to enhance your experience.
The Four Essentials of a Healthy Cleanse
1. A cleansing and hydrating detox diet. A cleansing diet is at the heart of any detoxification program. The goal is to focus on organic, nutrient-dense, and minimally processed foods. Here are the basics:
- Eat less animal protein, particularly red meat and dairy. Instead, favor organic plant-based proteins, which will help ease digestive stress and improve elimination. You can incorporate a plant-based protein powder to supplement and fill your protein needs. Green powders, made of concentrated greens such as cereal grasses, sprouts, and green vegetables, can add extra nutritional value and increased detox support.
- Eat more alkaline fresh vegetables, such as cucumber, spinach, broccoli, avocado, to counteract the acidity toxins create. An alkaline environment in the body helps promote oxygenation and detoxification, among other health benefits. Emphasize other low-starch leafy vegetables and cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, and collard greens. Vegetables may be eaten raw, juiced, steamed, or sautéed in liquid.
- Add fiber to your diet, such as flax or chia seeds, psyllium, or rice bran.
- Include probiotic foods to improve digestive and overall health by reintroducing healthy probiotic flora (beneficial bacteria) to the digestive tract. Probiotics, like yogurt, pickles, kefir, sauerkraut, miso, and kimchi, are shown to boost immunity, support detoxification, improve nutrient assimilation, and promote overall health.
- Eliminate inflammatory foods, that can cause increased toxic body burden, such as alcohol, sugars, processed foods, trans fats, cooked oils, caffeinated beverages, and nonorganic foods.
- Drink plenty of pure, filtered water (at least 64 ounces per day), as well as herbal tea. Homemade vegetable broth is an excellent addition, as it’s very nutrient rich and hydrating.
If you stray away from your detox diet, don’t be too hard on yourself! You can always start again.
2. Include herbal, botanical, and nutritional supplements. These powerful natural remedies can help remove toxins and heavy metals, support the organs of elimination, help reduce inflammation, improve circulation, enhance digestion, and promote stronger immunity. Here are my recommendations, in two phases:
- Phase 1—Modified citrus pectin and sodium alginates. Modified citrus pectin (MCP) and sodium alginates help remove heavy metals and environmental toxins from the digestive tract and circulation, and they combat inflammation and improve cellular health and immunity. MCP has been clinically proven to eliminate lead, mercury, arsenic, and other heavy metals from the body, without affecting the minerals our bodies need. Sodium alginates also have the ability to bind with heavy metals and environmental toxins and safely remove them. Both pectins and alginates have been well researched and were first used in Chernobyl to remove radioactive particles from victims of the disaster. This first phase removes heavy metals and toxins and addresses the circulatory and digestive systems. Even if you don’t progress to a deeper, more in-depth Phase-2 detoxification process (described below), you can still achieve significant health benefits in Phase 1. This phase can be as short as two days, two weeks, or last up to a month. The goal of this initial step is to alkalize your body with a cleansing diet and target toxins in the circulation and digestive tract.
- Phase 2—Herbs and nutrients for deeper detoxification. Phase 2 cleansing targets toxins and heavy metals that get stored within organs and tissues over the long term. It’s helpful to include amino acids like N-acetylcysteine (NAC), and methyl sulfonyl methane (MSM) as well as lipoic acid, and herbs such as cilantro, Oregon grape root, goldenrod, dandelion, milk thistle, garlic, and astragalus. These herbs and nutrients target toxins in organs and tissues, combat free radicals, help reduce inflammation, and boost vital energy. Medicinal mushrooms (Coriolus versicolor, Gandoderma lucidum, Grifola frondosa, Phellinus linteus, Poria cocos, and Cordyceps sinensis, for instance) help remove toxins and metabolic waste, and support immunity, digestion, vital energy, and overall health. They work remarkably well at repairing damage and restoring function in areas of the body that are weak. For additional detox support, digestive enhancement, and improved elimination, include things like cardamom, pomegranate, tangerine peel, black pepper fruit, ginger, lotus seed, licorice, and cinnamon. Also, chromium and zinc are important digestive minerals.
3. Exercise! Movement makes the world go ’round. It also supports our health on every level. Regular exercise is critical during a cleanse because it moves the lymphatic system to promote more efficient elimination of toxins and wastes. Without regular exercise, the process of detoxification slows to a halt, like a traffic jam. Proper circulation is essential for overall health, and in the case of detoxification, it’s simply a must. You don’t have to be a triathlete, just make sure you move your body for at least 20 minutes a day. Even a regular walk or gentle stretching routine can make a big difference.
4. Practice mindfulness. You can maximize the benefits of a cleanse by taking extra time to meditate and reflect, practice yoga, spend time in nature, and rest. Healthy stress management is an important and uplifting way to support your well-being on every level. In fact, mind-body practices such as mindfulness meditation can encourage a much deeper process of detoxification. Mindfulness meditation helps us begin to acknowledge and release excess mental, emotional, and physical “baggage” that may be obstructing our path to optimal wellness. The role of the mind-body connection in detoxification is an important topic that deserves its own article, but it’s definitely worth mentioning when discussing how to optimize your cleanse.
By adopting these simple practices, you can experience positive transformation on many levels, much the way winter’s coldness and inactivity gives way to new growth, warmth, and energy in the spring. A seasonal cleanse should be a gentle, life-supporting experience, so relax, enjoy, and renew!
For more practical holistic health information, visit www.dreliaz.org.
Isaac Eliaz, MD, MS, LAc, integrates Western medicine with his extensive knowledge of traditional Chinese, Tibetan, ayurvedic, homeopathic, and complementary medical systems. With more than 25 years of clinical experience and research, Dr. Eliaz offers a unique holistic approach to the relationship between health and disease, immune enhancement, detoxification, and cancer prevention and treatment. For more information about his work, visit dreliaz.org.
The information that was given to me is very important to know for my family and me. Thank you for taking your time to inform people that can help us with our health. You explain it well that I could understand it!!! Thank you:-)
I find that raw turnips in a juice blend give me amazing energy.. wondering why?
I can’t access Dr.Eliasz website, but would love to know where he practises..
Thanks in advance!
Great information! In a nutshell it is all here .
Would be great to see maybe a sample plan for a 3-4 detox days to see what would be a good start.
I enjoyed this article especially because it makes the detox process less intimidating. There is so much hype these days about using all kinds of bowel cleansers, etc, which I notice you did not mention. I never know who to trust. I like the idea of picking a few very targeted supplements such as the alginates and citrus pectin you mentioned. I went to Dr. Eliaz website…maybe Rue, you got the spelling wrong..? try dreliaz.org….he has all kinds of information and some videos explaining his approach to detoxification which I found very helpful as well. I was happy to see his name on this article as I already use a number of his products because I have seen that he does a lot of research that has been published in peer review journals. His research articles are also on his website. This gives me confidence and trust in him and his work, which I think is important in this overwhelming arena of natural health and supplements. Elena
I’ve been thinking about doing a detox and your tips seems simple enough. I will give it a try. thank you!
I never though mindfulness would be part of the equation but what you said about the role of the mind-body connection in detoxification makes a lot of sense.
Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!
That is a great tip especially to those new to the blogosphere.
Short but very accurate info… Thank you for sharing this one.
A must read post!
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and will eventually come back very soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!
) In fact, we can see a pattern in all published essays of first identifying the old view –
the familiar, accepted view – of something and then almost immediately
identifying a new view, which is always in opposition to, or a
reversal of, the old view. If you are not used to writing quickly, then remember to practise.
If the introduction doesn’t grab them, then the essay could be skipped.
I’ve always tried to follow #1-3, but #4 (mindfulness) never really occurred to me… Makes a lot of sense though!
I delighted in this article particularly in light of the fact that it makes the detox procedure less scary. There is so much buildup nowadays about utilizing a wide range of gut chemicals.
Nice to read. So useful and informative tips. Many thanks for sharing them all.
I am certain this post has offered me some assistance with saving numerous hours of perusing other related presents just on find what I was searching for. Much obliged!
It is a well-maintained site where people can learn about various topics. I am looking forward to read more blogs from here. Students finding it tough to write an assignment can try our online assignment help and can get their coursework written by assignment experts.
I have noticed you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month because you’ve
got hi quality content. If you want to know how to make extra money, search for:
Mrdalekjd methods for $$$
I took pleasure in this article especially in light of the way that it makes the detox system less terrifying. There is so much development these days about using an extensive variety of gut chemicals.
Thank you! Very important information.
Refined carbohydrates, salt, fats, and alcohol are all substances that frequently overwhelm our cleansing mechanisms. among the so-known as “detox” food and drinks are in reality much less toxic and more healthy options to the ingredients containing hard-to-digest contents.
I’ve been detoxing my body using the Isagenix 30 day cleanse and I feel more energy and in better health.
Been there done that.
No thanks. There will be no more romantic relationships for me
Lovely tips…. Loads of people have been hurt before too.
So proud of you for putting yourself on the market
This provides me hope for my love life.
Outstanding the right way to build and maintain a healthy relationship with your partner
thank you for delightful write-up, hope to encounter love someday.
This benefited me out a great deal, Im dropping the man. I appreciated this particular blog post