It all started with the search for a quick breakfast patty.
I needed a patty that my teenager could pop in the microwave in the morning before school. We are big on proteins for breakfast in our house; they make us feel full longer.
Perhaps you can find an organic, delicious breakfast patties in your supermarket, but we couldn’t. So we decided to make them ourselves. And I, being the plan-in-advance, long-term-thinking, and slightly lazy mom that I am, decided to make a huge batch to freeze in the process.
Well, it worked. We made a ton, cooked them up, and froze them, and they’re now rapidly dwindling in the freezer—which is fine because school’s almost over.
These sausage patties are easy to make and even easier to eat. The only thing I haven’t been able to do is make them look flat and perfectly round and “pressed” like a commercial frozen one.
But these aren’t made by a machine—they’re made by gnarly mom hands.
Breakfast Sausage Patties from Scratch
- 4 pounds organic ground pork
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Feel free to vary or experiment with spices. (We tried half beef and half pork to begin with, but it tasted too much like a burger and not enough like sausage.)
- Mold mixture into patties by hand and either fry in a pan or broil. Make sure they are cooked all the way through.
- Lay patties out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze.
- When they are frozen, pop them into a glass jar, and voilà, you’ve got breakfast patty sausages. From scratch.