There are a number of amazing, earth-friendly clothing brands out there (and thankfully, more are popping up every year), but one of my all-time favorites is Kowtow. Kowtow’s philosophy is that consumer habits should be transparent, ethical, and sustainable. As a purveyor of cotton clothing, the company documents its entire cotton chain, from seed to garment. On top of this, it uses only 100 percent fair trade and 100 percent organic cotton textiles all awesome attributes that I look for in a clothing brand. But it’s the added bonus of Kowtow’s classic style and incredible feel that places the brand high on my list of favorite slow-fashion brands. (It also doesn’t hurt that they’re from “Down Unda,” in New Zealand, one of my favorite parts of the world!)
In honor of this fashionable and organic brand, I’ve decided to share my current Kowtow favorites…all handpicked and approved by yours truly!
1. Organic Cotton Trace Dress. Get ready to play favorites. This organic cotton dress fits so many moods and occasions. It also easily transitions from work to dinner-party attire. The side-seam pockets (!) are handy; the Italian-made recycled-hemp buttons add a unique, eco-friendly touch; and the self-tie belt and high-low hem provide a flattering fit and plenty of coverage.
2. Building Block Drape Back Top. This signature top is casual, with thoughtful details—drop shoulders, back drape, and a high-low hem that grazes the upper thigh in the rear. The high-quality cotton jersey material is soft, warm, and breathable. It’s the perfect top for lunch with friends, movie dates, or even nature walks.
3. Building Block Oversized Dress. Lay the foundation for a better wardrobe with this timeless dress. High-quality organic-cotton jersey provides comfort and breathability and gets better with every wash and wear. Twisted seams add interest and the right amount of definition to the loose, oversized fit.
4. Endless Shirt Dress. I love this dress! It’s perfect for those mornings you can’t decide what to wear—because a classic shirtdress is always a great option. This straight, button down style is polished yet fun, with intriguing back pleats and a self-fabric belt to help define your figure.
5. Smith Button-Down Shirt. When in doubt, a crisp button-down shirt is always a good foundation for an outfit. Whether it’s paired with work separates for weekdays or dressed down with boyfriend jeans and an oversized sweater on the weekend, this organic-cotton wardrobe staple is absolutely essential.