by guest blogger Katina Simonetta Jenkins, merchandising coordinator at Rodale’s
What should you bring to that last-minute cookout? This refreshingly simple Mediterranean bean salad, that’s what.
My mama taught me that you should never show up to a party empty-handed. But with warm weather and summertime activities in full swing, you might find yourself invited to more impromptu cookouts, with less time to prep an elaborate dish. Nobody likes a moocher; so if you want to keep up your reputation as a fantastic cook (and guest), but would rather spend your spare summer free time soaking up the sun, give this bean salad a toss. And with fewer than 10 ingredients packing a ton of taste, you’ll have fellow party goers asking for the recipe faster than Polo can answer Marco. (For those of you who asked: Here you go—you’re welcome.)
Already a champion of all foods Mediterranean? You’ll be happy to know you have most of these ingredients in your fridge and pantry.
Mediterranean Bean Salad
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans (or black beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a large bowl, toss beans, pepper, onion, and parsley.
- In a small bowl whisk together oil, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Pour oil mixture over bean mixture and toss to coat well.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. (If refrigerating longer than 30 minutes, take out of fridge at least 15 minutes before serving, so congealed oil has time to melt back to a liquid form.)
- Love your beans? Use all four types instead of three—one can each of garbanzo, cannellini, kidney, and black. In this case, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, a few extra squeezes of lemon juice, and a pinch more salt.
- Attending a big backyard bash? Doubling this recipe is no trouble at all and goes a long way at the buffet table!
Before Katina Simonetta Jenkins became the merchandise coordinator for Rodale’s, she dabbled in secondary English education, bridal and jewelry sales, and dance performance. Katina spends her free time hiking, dancing, reading, organizing everything, swimming, writing, DIYing, entertaining, and shopping for groceries in her own backyard. When she isn’t cooking wholesome and frequent meals for her hungry hubby and her, ahem, involved (and amazing) family, she can be found tending to her plants and caring for Phoenix, her Aussie puppy, and Poseidon, the family hermit crab.
This is delicious!