Making Indian foods from scratch seems intimidating…until you try it. The secret, I believe, is massive amounts of spices! This is a perfect vegetarian dish that is so delicious and yummy, you’ll want to make it all the time. Serve it simply over some basmati rice for a warm and filling meal.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) chopped tomatoes or 2–3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh-grated ginger
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1. In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil or butter. (This is good time to put the rice on to cook, as well.)
2. Add the spices.
3. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas and water, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes (or until the rice is done).
4. Before serving, add the fresh ginger and cilantro!