by guest blogger Amanda Harding, copywriter at Rodale’s
May is the time for popular holidays like Mother’s Day and Memorial Day, but don’t forget that it’s also the unofficial start of one of the best times of the year: camping season.
And if you’re anything like us, you can’t say “camping” without thinking “s’mores!” These chocolatey treats are a classic staple of summer nights by the campfire. Simple to make, yet delicious to eat, we can’t help but get excited dreaming about this season’s s’mores to come, which is why we’re sharing the classic s’mores recipe here:
- 8 sheets of honey graham crackers, broken into squares
- One 4.4-ounce bar of milk chocolate, broken into 8 pieces
- 8 large marshmallows
- Toast marshmallows all at once over an open campfire using a Marshmallow Tree Roasting Fork.
- Carefully place the melted marshmallow between two squares of graham cracker with one square of chocolate in the middle. Repeat for each set of graham cracker squares so that you end up with 8 sandwiches.
- Enjoy immediately, while it’s still warm and gooey!
Alternate directions: Make three s’more sandwiches using raw marshmallows and place inside the S’More Maker. Hold over the open flame until the graham cracker is lightly toasted, the marshmallow is softened, and the chocolate has started melting.
Even if you don’t plan on whipping up traditional-style treats with a S’more Maker over an open flame, we still have just the thing to satisfy your craving for that irresistible combination of chocolate, graham, and marshmallow.
S’mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 bag of marshmallows, toasted
- 2 chocolate bars, chopped
- 18 graham cracker squares
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- Line a square baking pan with reusable food storage wraps or plastic wrap, allowing some to hang over the sides. Line the bottom of the pan with 9 of the graham cracker squares.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and move the oven rack to top of the oven. Evenly distribute marshmallows on the sheet and broil on low for 10-15 seconds. They will toast quickly, so keep a close watch to avoid burning them. Set aside to cool.
- Put the softened ice cream in a large mixing bowl. Add toasted marshmallows and fold to combine. Next, add chopped chocolate bars and fold again. Be sure the marshmallows and chocolate are evenly distributed. Transfer the ice cream mixture to the graham cracker lined pan. Use the back of a spoon or a spatula to distribute ice cream in an even layer.
- Place the remaining 9 graham cracker squares over the ice cream. Make sure that the top crackers are in line with the bottom crackers. Cover with a reusable food storage or plastic wrap and gently push down to create sandwiches. Freeze for at least 3 hours, or until ice cream has hardened.
- Use the overhanging wrap to gently lift ice cream sandwiches out of the pan. Remove the wrap and transfer the entire sandwich to a cutting board, then divide into 9 individual servings with a knife. Place them back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!