Recipe from the Rodale Test Kitchen
No dessert showcases strawberries at the height of their season quite like this strawberry shortcake!
Grab some fresh berries today and try this recipe for a simple, sweet, and seasonal treat…
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5 Tablespoons sugar, divided, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup buttermilk, plus more as needed
- 1 cup whipped cream, for serving
- Combine berries and 1 tablespoon sugar; let sit at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Sift together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Work in butter by hand until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk until dough just comes together, adding more a tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; pat into ¾-inch tall disc. Using a 3-inch round biscuit cutter, punch out as many biscuits as you can. Knead scraps together and repeat until you have 6 biscuits.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Brush with buttermilk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake until shortcakes are puffed and golden brown, 12 minutes. Cut open shortcakes, fill with strawberries and whipped cream, and top with more cream and berries.
Originally published on RodalesOrganicLife.com