One recent weekend, I was thinking about breakfast and wanting some sort of bread, cheese, and egg mixture. But I was tired of just a fried egg on toast or a cheese omelet. I got to thinking about all the people I know who eat fried eggs on their burgers. My British son-in-law, for instance. It was like a lightbulb went off and an alarm of excitement sounded. Grilled cheese with a fried egg on top!
I couldn’t have possibly been the first person to think of this, but I’ve asked three or four people if they have ever heard of it and they haven’t. Have you? (Someone recently told me about the Croque Madame, which is like a grilled ham and Gruyère cheese with an egg on top.)
It’s possible to make it fairly healthfully and totally organically. And I guess you could eat this for lunch or dinner, too! Here is how I make it (for one):
Grilled Cheese with A Fried Egg on Top
- 2 pieces whole grain organic sandwich bread
- 1 slice Horizon Organic American Cheese
- 1 organic egg
- organic butter
- organic olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the grilled cheese in butter in a cast-iron pan (do you need more info on this? It’s fairly basic). Butter is key. Just think of it as buttered toast with a cheese filling. Put it on a plate.
2. Fry the egg to your preference in olive oil in the same pan.
3. Put the egg on top of the grilled cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste and eat with a knife and fork. Well, I guess you could use your hands and fingers, but if you like your egg runny, as I do, using a knife and fork works best.