Every once in a while I get a hankering for that broccoli bacon salad that’s so popular at certain cafés, parties, and supermarkets. But those versions are usually a bit too heavy, rich, sweet, or filled with unexpected surprises… like raisins. (Gack!)
So this summer, I was determined to make a version that is just as yummy and not as thick and goopy as the usual broccoli and bacon salad. Which probably means it’s lower in calories and such, but I’m not one to count those. For me it’s all about flavor, and this salad hits the spot.
You can add raisins if you want. Go right ahead! Just don’t try to serve it to me if I come over because I WILL pick them out. I’ve also seen recipes that call for shredded cheese and sunflower seeds. But I don’t think you really need those. Here’s what you do need: organic ingredients! This recipe is 100 percent organic the way I make it, which is why it’s so yummy for body and soul.
Here’s how you make it:
Broccoli Bacon Summer Salad
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 8-ounce package of bacon
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1 sweet red pepper, also chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch o’ salt
1. Blanch (dip in boiling water for a minute) the broccoli and cut into tiny bits.
2. Cook the bacon. Chop into chunks.
3. Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. In a larger bowl (one that can go right into the fridge and, ideally, one with a lid), add the chopped onion, chopped red pepper, chopped broccoli, and chopped bacon.
5. Add the dressing and stir or shake (if your bowl has a lid).
You can eat it right away or chill it in the fridge and let all the flavors mix for a day or two before enjoying it.