This salad is so easy, refreshing, and delicious! It takes about five minutes to prepare and is the perfect compliment to a rich, wintry comfort meal. I made it with organic Cara Cara navel oranges, which are my new latest obsession. The color is salmony and the flavor is so fragrant. You can make this salad with any kind of orange, though (even blood orange!). And fresh organic fennel is now easy to find in my supermarket, as well. The checkout people are always a bit confused by it. Sometimes it’s called anise. But it’s basically a bulb of deliciousness that tastes like a mix between celery and licorice. This salad is very traditional Italian, by the way. My kids love it!
Orange and Fresh Fennel Salad
- 2 oranges
- 1 large bulb fennel or 2 smaller ones
- Olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- Micro greens for garnish (optional)
- Cut the skins of the oranges and slice the oranges into rounds. Arrange on individual salad plates or on a big salad plate (the way I did in the picture).
- Cut the top and bottom off the bulb of fennel and thinly slice into round pieces. Place on top of the oranges.
- Drizzle good olive oil over the oranges and fennel.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle some cleaned micro greens on top for a fancy look!
It’s that easy. Really. And wait till you taste it. Especially if it’s all organic!