by the editors at Rodale Wellness; recipe by Alicia Silverstone, adapted from The Kind Mama
As an afternoon snack or a party appetizer, bite-size tomato toasts make ideal menu additions. And with just a few ingredients, they’re proof that delicious food doesn’t have to be complicated to make.
If you’re craving creamy or cheesy, these mini pizzas are a must. Nutritional yeast has a surprising cheese-like flavor, and the tahini and sesame seeds give the whole affair a decadent richness—not to mention vitamin B, calcium, and iron.
Heirloom Tomato Saucy Toasts
(Makes 2 to 4 servings)
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons organic jarred tomato sauce
- 4 slices sourdough bread or 2 English muffins, halved
- 2–3 tomato slices per toast
- 1 onion slice per toast
- ½–1 teaspoon nutritional yeast per toast
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds per toast
1. Make the tahini sauce by mixing the tahini and tomato sauce. Set aside.
2. Warm the bread in the oven or toaster, removing it just before it’s completely browned. Slather each piece with some of the tahini sauce then load it with the tomatoes, onion, and nutritional yeast. Place under a broiler or in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle it with the sesame seeds for a finishing touch, then serve.
This story originally appeared on Rodale Wellness.
I am looking forward to trying these! I am allergic to milk products and this is made of ingredients I keep on hand every day.
No dairy for me, but these sound perfect. Thank you.
No dairy for me, but these sound perfect. Thank you. Look forward to more great recipes from you.