I’ve wanted to make a smoked trout spread forever, and I finally did. Ultimately, it was simple and easy.
After preparing the spread, I asked my daughter Lucia to taste test it. She sniffed it, as she does any new food. (Do all kids do that? I’ve only seen her do it.) She took a bite. Her eyes rolled up into the back of her head; she closed them and smiled. “That’s good,” she said.
Taste it for yourself and let me know what you think…
Smoked Trout Spread
- ½ pound smoked trout (or 1 8-ounce package of smoked trout), skin removed
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. Rip up the smoked trout into little pieces or cut it with a knife and put it in a bowl.
2. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice, and chopped onion, and the salt and pepper, to taste. Mix together. I found it mixed best using my hands, with their warmth softening up the cream cheese.
3. Scoop the mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with fresh herbs like lemon verbena, parsley, chives…or nothing at all! Serve with toast rounds, artisan bread, or crackers.